6 Tips to Help you Handle Stress
Stress in life is inevitable and something that we all have to deal with from time to time. Our ability to handle stress effectively can determine whether it becomes manageable or problematic.
Below are 6 simple tips that could help you better manage the stressful periods in your life.
1. Exercise – It is probably not news to you that exercise is good for your physical health, but did you know that regular exercise can positively impact your mood, self-esteem, increase energy levels and decrease feelings of stress?
2. Eat well – A good healthy diet can help replenish essential vitamins and minerals used up by stress. A balanced diet can help stabilise mood and energy levels. A balanced diet includes vegetables, fruits, whole grains, proteins and lots of water!
3. Sleep well - Sleep is essential for keeping your mood balanced and in turn increasing your ability to cope with life stressors. Try to get between 6-9 hours per night, unwind before sleep, and avoid caffeine or other stimulating activity close to bedtime.
4. Pleasant activities - Take time out to do pleasant activities. Scheduling time with friends and family, or booking in time-out for yourself, your interests and your hobbies, can be a great way to cope with stress.
5. Relaxation techniques – Our bodies respond to stressful situations by becoming tense. A good way of relaxing the mind is to relax the body. Using deep breathing exercises and progressive muscle relaxation can help relieve the pent-up stress in your body. Progressive muscle relaxation involves systematically tensing and relaxing different muscle groups in order to achieve an overall level of relaxation.
6. Mindfulness practice – Being present, aware and non-judgemental in stressful situations can help to reduce the associated anxiety. By practicing to be mindful and in the present moment we can learn to let go of some of the thoughts that might be creating that stress.